Saturday, January 31, 2009

Feeling Blessed

Life has not been easy over the past month, but despite the challenges we have been so blessed.

These are just a couple of our most recent experiences...

My dad had open heart surgery almost a week ago to replace a valve. This is the first major surgery our family has experienced and it was an emotional week for me. The fasting and prayers by so many family members and friends were felt. The surgery went well and now he is dealing with the long, painful recovery. I know the recovery will not be easy for him or my mom but we truly feel so blessed that there were not any complications during the surgery. He will be coming home this afternoon. It is so amazing that he had major surgery less than a week ago and he is coming home today. We are so blessed to have the technology and medicines we have now.

This past Thursday our house was broken into about 11:45am. I left my house at 11:00am, ran an errand, picked up Luke from preschool, dropped him off at a friend's house to play and then came home. When I got home there was a strange car in front of my house, but I didn't think too much about it. I drove down to the mailbox got my mail and drove by the car again. This time I saw what looked like a male teenager sitting in the driver's seat, he smiled at me, and I pulled my van into my driveway. I pulled into the garage and started unloading my girls. Katelyn was getting ready to go out to the driveway to get the newspaper and then I heard that car honk. I immediately felt sick to my stomach and grabbed Katelyn and put her back in the van and put Ashley back in her seat. Then I ran out to the driveway to see the back of what looked like a girl getting into the car and the car driving off. I went around my garage and saw that my front door was open. I was scared now and ran to my van and drove out of my driveway. I called Kevin and of course he said to call the police. The police arrived about 10 minutes later and searched my house with their guns out.
A rock had been thrown through my kitchen window and glass was shattered everywhere. They dented my refrigerator, stole my camera, and most of my jewelry. They tore apart my bedroom. Kevin had some guns up high in his closet and they had taken two of them but dropped them downstairs before running out. They stole a few other little things. CSI came and got some fingerprints and after about an hour and a half we were able to go back in our house and clean up all the mess.
It was scary and left me feeling so violated and really nervous that first night to fall asleep. However, we were really blessed. I am so grateful Luke was at a friend's house because it would have really scared him. They didn't take anything too valuable. (They were probably really disappointed with what they found.) The biggest blessing of all was that no one was hurt and the damages to the house were minimal.

Life can be crazy sometimes!

19 comments:

Lindsay said...

Wow, how terrifying. I'm glad no one was hurt. I hope they catch the people who broke into your house and that your dad has a speedy recovery. Please tell them we are praying for him.

Beverly B. said...

Scary! I'm so glad that things turned out okay. I hope you have a better week and that they catch those thieves.

Heather said...

wow - those are really big things. my dad had a heart attack 2 years ago but he wasn't able to have heart surgery :( - hence we hope he just keeps ticking. I hope your dad recovers quickly. that is always a time of stress when you wonder and hope and pray.

sorry to hear about the break-in. that happened to a friend of mine here in utah when they were at church. I know robbers would be extremely disappointed at the goods at my house too. I'm so glad you were safe. How weird that they were right there when you were too. Hopefully this next month will be a little brighter for you guys. Keep a goin'!

Krista said...

Oh my goodness!! I'm glad you guys are ok. That is so scary. I think there are so many people that are desperate now.
And I wish your dad a speedy recovery. Let me know if I can do anything for ya. I haven't been working much.

Kerry and Dave said...

I don't even know what to say! That is so scary and yes, violating. My Grandpa used to always say (and this was when he didn't have any money) "if it can be replaced with money, it's not worth worrying about." Any time I have ever experienced a material possession being lost/broken/taken, etc., my mom always reminds me of that and even though it's still hard to get over, I know that is true. Especially when you put it in perspective with your dad. I'm so glad he is doing well and I'm so glad you and your family are safe!

Jason & Claire said...

Jessica, I am so sorry to hear about your dad and your home being broken into. You have such a good attitude about everything. I can't imagine how invaded you feel. I am so glad you weren't there and nobody was hurt.

It's Been a Day! said...

i didn't hear about your house being broken into. how scary that you showed up during the middle of it. i'm just glad you weren't home. and i'm glad your dad is doing better. i get the updates from my mom. it was such a neat experience for me last sunday to participate in the fast for him. i realized that as an extended family it has been a while since we all fasted together for a specific purpose. it made me feel united with the Weed family and so connected to everyone. We hope it's a fast recovery for him.

Amanda said...

How scary! I am so sorry your house got broken into. I hope that your dad has a speedy recovery! We'll say a prayer for him.

TheOneTrueSue said...

Oh Jessica, that's so frightening. I'm so glad you are all o.k. What a scary experience. How awful to have your stuff rifled through and taken, but what a blessing that you didn't end up running into them while they were still in the house. I'm so glad you're all o.k. (Did I say that already?)

I hope your dad recovers quickly and fully.

Heather said...

Oh my goodness,Jess!!! That would be so scary! I'm so glad that you guys are safe, and that you are keeping a positive attitude about it.

And here's to a speedy recovery to you Dad.

Hope you have a great week!

Kasey said...

Kevin told us about your break in. How scary! But it's good they didn't take anything that was irreplaceable and that everyone was safe. Too bad Grissom didn't come with the CSI team....he would have been able to catch them by the end of the day!

Winter mama said...

I'm so sorry you had the experience in you life and also i'm so glad you guys are okay, so scary. I hope you dad is doing okay and feeling good.

Marlise said...

I know what you mean about feeling violated (house was broken into in DC)--but I think it's even more so with kids and your family-home, you know? I'm glad everyone is okay. And I hope your dad has a good recovery!

Me said...

I know we've talked about this already, but I still can't believe it! The nerve of these punks coming over in broad daylight. They must have been nuts. I'm so glad you didn't encounter one of them. I have to tell you how impressed I have been by your attitude about this. Everytime I talk to you, you are calm and sincerely feeling blessed. You're so amazing. Let me know what we can do to help.

Linde said...

I hope your dads recovery goes quickly! Lots of prayers just make you feel so much better.I can't believe that about your house. How freaky! I hope that they catch whoever did it. I can't believe that the boy smiled at you. I tell ya, people are crazy! Glad everyone is okay!

Wendy said...

I'm glad that your dad's surgery went well. That must have been really stressful for you. I'm relieved that the thieves got scared and left and didn't get confrontational with you. Let's hope the cops catch them. You guys are in our prayers.

Bryn said...

That is so scary! I am sorry to hear about the trying times that have come your way. I am glad to hear that you all are ok. Let me know if I can ever help you out.

Anonymous said...

How awful and unsettling to be robbed! I'm glad you were all o.k. and that your dad is doing better. Both experiences could have been a whole lot worse, but I know you were being protected from on High. Love to all of you!

chanel said...

holy mackerel!
first so glad your dad is ok!
second, that is CRAZY you saw them leave!!! i am so glad you and the kids are safe, and so sorry for such a terrifying experience! i was thinking with the economy and the stupid commercials for "cash for gold" home robberies will probably really go up. Poor you guys! hope you have MUCH better days ahead!