Sunday, August 23, 2009

Establishing Traditions

With my first one going to kindergarten I wanted to start some back to school traditions. Here's hoping I can keep it up throughout the years. To start off, Luke and I went on a "date".
(not sure why blogger feels like it needs to underline everything, i can't turn it off)

Despite the look on Luke's face, he was really excited to just go out with mommy.

We went out for pizza, Luke's favorite thing to eat. He was so cute while we were waiting for our pizza. After we finished talking about kindergarten it was quiet for a minute. He started fidgeting in his chair and then leaned back and said, "So, what's going on?" It was so cute because he was trying to keep the conversation going on our little "date".

I didn't take pictures of the next parts of our date, but after pizza we went to see the movie G-Force. He LOVED it and I thought it was pretty cute! When we were walking into the movie I was commenting on how hot it was outside. Luke then said, "I think I know why it doesn't snow and get really cold in Las Vegas. I think Heavenly Father forgot about Las Vegas because he was too busy making other places cold." I said, "hmmm, that's an interesting idea" The kid cracks me up with his ideas and his never ending questions.

After the movie we quickly ran and bought him some new shoes for school and then got some ice cream. It was so much fun hanging out with my little man! I can't believe he is going to kindergarten tomorrow. Here's hoping I can hold it together. :)

I got my next idea from nie nie's blog. I love her blog and am so inspired by her and her story. If you have not heard of her or read her blog, you are definitely missing out. She was in a horrible airplane crash along with her husband and another man that did not make it. She and her husband have endured many hard things since this crash, but have amazing faith. I am so inspired by her, her family, her faith, creativity, courage, and strength.
I loved her back to school feast idea so I implemented my own version. Mine was definitely not as fancy and with picky eaters the menu was quite simple.


The table was dressed up "fancy" in our terms of the word "fancy". Real plates versus paper plates is fancy at my house. The kids thought the candles and the "fancy" glasses were the best thing ever.

We ate chicken rolls w/gravy, cooked carrots, fruit salad, and had some sparkling juice.

Luke saying "kindergarten".


Katelyn saying "pre-school".


Ashley was supposed to be saying "mommy" because that is all she cares about right now.


We ate and then Kevin gave Luke and Katelyn father's blessings and we finished the night off with the best chocolate cake.

15 comments:

Carol said...

your little back to school feast was cute! i thought about doing that too but in the end, dinner was late and we just ended up inhaling it. (that's what happens when you decide to take a nap on SUnday fternoon!)

Good luck with Kindy tomorrow!

Amy said...

Jess, those are such fun ideas!! You always give me the best ideas I love them! You are such an awesome mom. Luke Duke is growing up too fast on us!

aniC said...

that's awesome jess! i bet luke really loved the date, and that's so cute how he was trying to keep the conversation going.
i often think about traditions like that, that i'd like to do, and just hope that i remember to do them every year.

Me said...

What great ideas!! I love the idea of new traditions, but I had not even considered making them for the start of school. You're such a thoughtful Mom. Good luck today with Kindergarten. I will have to call & check on you, see how it went.

Krista said...

You are such an awesome mom!!! What a great thing to do!! Those ideas are so cute!! You will have to blog about sending him off today! I know I will be tearing up next year;)

Wendy said...

He's in kindergarten ALREADY? Yeesh, I guess time really does go faster the older you get. I love your traditions- and I love NieNie, too. I love her (and now YOUR) back-to-school feast, and how they introduce a family theme each school year. I'm not sure what else they do with the theme, but I like the idea of it. And hey, carrots and fruit salad make for a fancy dinner in my house, too.

Jess said...

I forgot the whole theme idea until I linked nie nie's blog to mine. Maybe we can come up with a theme for FHE because I do really like that idea.

Heather said...

How cute of you to go on a date with Luke.
Great way to spend one on one time with your kids and get to know them better.
I LOVE the back to school ideas that Nie suggested. I too, had good intentions of trying them, but in the end didn't.
Kudos to you for making such great back to school traditions.

It's Been a Day! said...

what a great tradition! how nice to get out and have one on one time with one of the kids. can't believe luke is starting kindergarten! hope it's a great year for him.

Winter mama said...

Cute!! He look so happy .. You are a great mom.Ashelynn always enjoy the dates she has with mom or dad.

cottrell1 said...

Proud of you, Jess. What a cute idea. I thought maybe you got the idea from me and all the cute things I did with you guys before school------NOT! (: Keep up the good work. Luke is a good boy and I loved his comments. Love you guys!

Jess said...

Mom, I did get the menu from you. The chicken rolls and fruit salad were both your recipes. So thanks for helping me out. :)

Kerry and Dave said...

That is so cute! We had Father's blessing the night before our first day of school too. And I think Luke may be on to something there... I think Heavenly Father may have forgotten about Vegas too (but for other reasons!) :) Out of the mouths of babes... I can't believe you have a kindergartner!

Anonymous said...

Your children will always remember these sweet things you are doing with them. I love that my grandchildren have great parents. Luke is amazing!

Kasey said...

That's such a cute idea. I will have to do that next year...you'll have to remind me! My friend does a date with her kids too to go back to school shopping. I love that but was too lazy to do it this year. Next year for sure.