Friday, August 13, 2010

Crayon/Color Party

I mentioned in my previous post that Katelyn loves to color, paint, and draw, so I thought it would be fun to do a crayon/color themed birthday party. It turned out to be such a fun theme!

the invitations

the front door sign
(it bugs me that the crayons and the "happy birthday" are crooked, but I didn't have the time or energy to go back and fix it)

the cake
(got the idea off the internet)

the take home "bags": little bucket, pack of crayons, coloring book, a little candy, and a crayon eraser
(this is a great time of year to do this theme because all the school supplies are such a great deal)

Katelyn added her own little touch and drew a picture for all her friends that came and then I wrote a little thank you note at the top and helped Katelyn write her name.
The Activities:

While everyone was arriving the kids did some coloring.

After everyone arrived I read the book "The Crayon Box That Talked".
Then we played a few games. I didn't get pictures of the first two games which were running relays while holding a large inflatable crayon and throwing the inflatable crayons through a hula hoop. These next two pictures are from our made up version of freeze dance. On the invitation I had asked the kids to wear their favorite color shirt. So we put on some music and let them dance, when the music stopped they ran to the color of card stock that matched their shirt. Then we mixed it up a little and had them run to a color that didn't match their shirt. They had so much fun with this game. Ashley felt like she should run to pink because she was wearing a pink skirt.



Then Katelyn opened her presents and loved everything she got.
We finished off the party with some cake and ice cream. Then they just played with toys until it was time to go. All of the kids were so good and Katelyn was a happy birthday girl!

I just had to add this last picture of Katelyn in her princess dress. She has been asking for a Sleeping Beauty dress for a long time. She finally got her wish and has worn it almost everyday since. She had a great weekend full of celebrating with her party on Saturday and then her actual birthday on Sunday. My mom was able to be here for Katelyn's birthday and that made it extra special.
Our 4 year old princess!

7 comments:

Jason & Claire said...

You're so good at coming up with creative ideas for parties. I love her cake and the door sign. She looks so happy in her princess dress. I'm glad her day was perfect.

Heather said...

How cute!
I love all the little details especially the cake.
I'm glad Katelyn had a happy day.

sodapop said...

best time ever! great job, jess.

Carol said...

that was such a cute party! Jack loved it and he kept talking about the game where you threw the crayon in the hula hoop ;)

Kasey said...

Next time I need to plan a party I am calling you. You always have the best ideas. Everything looked so cute and the kids must have just loved it.

Wendy said...

You give your kids the best birthday parties. You should charge other moms to plan their kids' parties- I'll be your first client.

Me said...

She looks so cute in her Sleeping Beauty dress. I know we talked about this, but can you believe they are 4!?! Katelyn is such a sweet, fun, cute little girl.

Nate & Ky had a great time at the party. The theme was great, and you executed it all so well! (as always)