Monday, July 23, 2007

Swimming Lesson Torture

Luke is not a swimmer but when I mentioned the idea of swimming lessons to him, he got excited. So I decided to go through with it and signed him up. The cost was only $25 for 6 lessons, so I thought if it didn't work out I wouldn't be out too much money.
(Look at that happy face, this was before the first lesson started.)

Monday, the 16th-First lesson
Luke is excited! My cousin's son is in the class too. I think that was the main reason Luke was excited. He puts on the life jacket and gets in the water. Phew, no screaming or coming back out of the water like I expected.
He is scared, I can tell by his nervous laughter, but no crying yet.
Time to put their heads under the water. Luke is not liking that idea. The teacher asks me if he can make Luke do it. I say ,"Go for it." (I know, I'm a mean mom, but he has to do it sometime.) He swallows some water and is a little shaken up, but no crying and he survived.
He tries everything else with major coaxing and does not want to let go of the teacher. (Is that a smile? This must have been before they attempted any swimming and definitely before putting his head under the water.)
(Not crying, but will not let go!)

It was so hot this first day and the pool did not have any shade. I was sweating like nothing else by the time the lesson was over.

Wednesday, the 18th-Second Lesson
Some major bribing was needed for Luke to get dressed and get in the car to go to swim lessons.
(I promised he could go to the dollar store and pick out a toy if he at least got in the water and tried everything.)
He gets in the water, no problem. Again, I am surprised.
He is in the water for a few minutes and than the tears start. He doesn't want to let go of the teacher but eventually does. He doesn't want to jump of the side but kind of does it. The whole time he is crying and saying, "I don't like swimming." "I want to get out."
Okay, I am starting to feel bad now. This is pretty much torture for him and for me to have to listen to him. (Did I mention that none of the other kids cried and did just what the teacher asked?)
We did go to the dollar store because he at least attempted everything. The bribe for the next lesson involved no crying.
(I'm sorry, there are no pictures from the crying session. I was trying to keep Katelyn from slipping out of my arms and into the water. But I do wish I would have taken at least one.)

Friday, the 20th-Third Lesson

Best lesson yet...we didn't end up going.
Katelyn woke up with a fever and I didn't want to take her out in the heat and have to struggle to get Luke in the water.

Today-the 23rd-Fourth Lesson
Another great lesson...we didn't go again.
Luke got sick over the weekend and still wasn't feeling great this morning. I decided it wasn't worth it.

Fifth and Sixth Lesson
Not going to happen for us. He has already missed two days and will be even farther behind than he already has been.

Am I giving up? Maybe. But I don't want to traumatize him anymore. Maybe we will attempt lessons again next year. I think Luke just needs more experience in the water before he has structured lessons. So I think that means that I am going to have to spend some time in my swimming suit at the community pool with my kiddos. ( I have already done it twice and believe me, it is not a pretty site. But I will do it for my kids.)

11 comments:

Jamie said...

Too funny! LOVE the fact that you have at least tried to attempt this. Nikki is so terrified of the water, that we literally had everyone at the pool looking at us the other day because we (you know how we LOVE to torture our children) tempted for her to let go of us WITH floaties on mind you, and she screamed like she was getting a limb ripped off! Meanwhile, Kayli now thinks she is invincible because of her floaties and screams if we try to hold her. Yeah, swimming is a BLAST!

TheOneTrueSue said...

Awwwwww.... I think it's first kid syndrome. All the first kids are very careful and cautious and all of the second kids are daredevils. Megan was extremely worried the firs time we tried swimming lessons and we did the same thing you did - just figured she wasn't ready and that we'd try again the next year.

I think you have to trust your mommy instincts about when they are ready.

It's Been a Day! said...

That's really funny! Tyson was the same way for his swim lessons. Everytime the doorbell would ring, he would look at me and say "no sydney" (his teacher). classic!

When I saw Jake a couple of weeks ago I asked him if he was going to take swim lessons with Luke, and he said "yes, but we're not bigger yet". I think someone told him he could take swim lessons when he was bigger! Really funny. Glad they have fun together.

Anonymous said...

i was a little older when i ever took swim lessons. i dont know if i cried, but i didnt like it and still dont know how to properly swim, still wont jump off a diving bored, and HATE putting my head under water. it's just how i roll.
i'm sure as soon as luke realizes how fun it is, he'll get over his fears.

Heather said...

This is cracking me up! Swim lessons are always such torture for everyone involved. If it makes you feel any better, my oldest did not learn to swim until she was 5. She hated the water! She was sure that I was drowning her while she was wearing floaties AND a life jacket and I was holding her.... and now she is a little fish. So there is hope.

Jess said...

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. It sounds like it must be the first kid syndrome, like Sue said.

TheOneTrueSue said...

I still remember my swimming lessons, running around the pool, screaming, away from the teacher, who finally caught me and threw me in. I thought I was drowning. I was so ticked off. I think I was 7 though. And not a first child either. I guess I was just a weenie.

Wendy said...

I hated swimming lessons. With a passion. Especially at the YMCA- the teachers there were so mean, they made me stay in the cold pool when my lips were blue. But, I love to swim now. I wouldn't say I have much in the way of swimming skills, but I like it.

Wendy said...

Oops, forgot to say that I'm sure Luke will warm up to swimming with time. Especially with Vegas summers.

Me said...

Oh, the pain of swimming lessons! Jaren did the SAME thing! I am with you and Sue on the first child thing. This summer he is a lot more comfortable, but still struggles a lot to let me go and be somewhat on his own. Someday...

Heather said...

Oh, this scares me! My oldest will be 8 in a month and STILL won't do swimming lessons. He has even informed us that he doesn't want to be baptized because he doesn't want to go under water! Maybe I should put him in lessons PRONTO so he will be better by the time he turns 8.