Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Almost Done

Our backyard is almost done and I love looking out the windows and seeing green grass and some plants instead of dirt. I have to give a big 'shout out' to my husband for ALL his hard work. With the exception of help loading cement and top soil (thank you to friends and family for help w/those things) to the backyard he has done it all himself. I told him he should have kept a count of how many wheelbarrow loads he made to the back yard w/blocks for the wall, dirt for the hill, sand for the sandbox, wood chips, and sod. I have been pregnant the whole time he has worked on it so I had a good excuse not to help. :) He has never once complained, but just got things done. Sometimes working at night w/flood lights and sometimes working with some little "helpers". So a big THANK YOU to my husband!!!!!
With the beautiful weather we have had this week it has been so much fun to go in the backyard and play. We are still trying to decide on an outdoor play set/swing set, some more plants, and what to do with a few spots.
Here are some pictures of the process:



Rented a Bobcat to pull back some of the dirt from the hill.
Luke loved riding along for a few minutes.



Picking away at the hill to get it ready for a retaining wall.



Katelyn watching the workers smooth out the concrete for the patio. You can see a little of the retaining wall in the background.


Enjoying the new patio.


Top soil is down, another little retaining wall, and plants and dirt are starting to go in on the hill. All those orange buckets are what Kevin would use to haul dirt up to the top of the hill.



Sod is in and most of the plants are in on the hill. We still want to put some trees and bushes at the top, but have not decided what exactly to put in yet. The wood chips Katelyn is playing in are where we are going to put a play set.


The grass has done really well and looks so pretty. I hope we can get it to stay that way. :)
To the right of the patio, when you are facing the yard, Kevin put in a sandbox that has gotten a lot of use already. We just need to teach Katelyn not to throw the sand.

15 comments:

greg & allyson said...

wow, jess and kevin, this looks great. it looks so nice in vegas right now. we'll have to come down soon to see you guys.

Kerry and Dave said...

Okay, first of all, I think that is AMAZING that Kevin did that all by himself! I love my husband dearly and he can do a lot of things, but rest assured, if we had dirt for a back yard and he was in charge of the yard... it would still be dirt! Secondly, I am so jealous that you've had such nice weather -- we're still FREEZING here! And lastly, I want to see some pregant pictures of you!

Jess said...

Kerry,
Pregnant pictures of me might be a little scary. I am so big right now and feel very unattractive. Maybe I can get a semi-decent picture and post it. We'll see!

Krista said...

That looks awesome!! And I want to see some prego pics too!!

Amanda said...

Wow Jess, that looks amazing! I can only imagine how excited you must be to have a great place for your kids to play. Kudos to your husband! That looked like a lot of hard work. I am envious of your weather right now!

It's Been a Day! said...

what a great yard you have. I'm so jealous. I can't believe Kevin did that by himself. What a great guy! I'm glad you are able to enjoy the outdoors. With that kind of yard, I woudl never want to go inside!

Kasey said...

Your yard is huge! I bet the kids love it and how nice is it to say to them, "go outside and play," when they are driving you nuts? You'll have to plan a BBQ soon to show it off - hint, hint.

Anonymous said...

It makes a mom proud!!!

TheOneTrueSue said...

It looks so great! How fun! Good job Kev!

Heather said...

WOW!! That's awesome. What a big yard too!!! I remember Las Vegas yards, and that is hard to come by. Have fun enjoying your new beautiful yard!!!

Wendy said...

I am seriously impressed. and jealous- I want a big beautiful yard, too! :)

Props to Kevin, that's real dedication.

Me said...

it does look great! and just in time for the wonderful weather. NICE! good job doing it all yourselves, too. Kevin is so good at things like that.

Jodi said...

It's a small world in the world of blogs. Claire Scott found my blog and through hers, I found yours. I've really enjoyed reading your thoughts. I think you're a great person and you have a wonderful family. By the way, tell your husband nice job on the backyard. My little one has sure benefited from all that hard work as she's played at your house.

Megs said...

WOW, the yard looks awesome. How fun for your kids. Way to go Kevin!!

Jason & Claire said...

What a pretty yard. That's the best feeling in the world- getting a big project done. It's the perfect time of year to finish. You guys are going to have a great spring.

PS- You look great, quit feeling like you're big and unattractive.