Friday, June 8, 2007

My Bully


Do you think "bully" when you look at this sweet, innocent face? I don't, but it seems that looks can be deceiving. As I was peeking in the nursery door (Yes, he is still in nursery. He is by far the biggest one in there. That's what happens when you have a Jan. birthday.) to pick Luke up, I see him pushing another kid and getting ready to hit. I was able to tell him to stop in a stern voice before the hitting happened and than asked his nursery teacher if this happens a lot. She said, "He can be pretty aggressive." (I guess that was a nice way of saying, "Yes, he can be a real bully.") It always makes me sad to hear that my kid is not doing what he is supposed to be doing.

So I was pretty upset the rest of Sunday and talked to him a lot about how we are supposed to treat others and to listen to his teacher.

I than realized that I am always telling Luke what he shouldn't be doing and telling him "NO" instead of focusing on the positive. So I made a chart with several columns and each time he does something nice, dosen't argue, helps me, plays nicely with Katelyn, etc., he earns a sticker. (It is a lot harder than I thought to constantly be looking for positive things, but it is helping me to not be such a bully. :) ) He earns small rewards along the way and than he can choose something bigger (like a toy) if he completes the whole chart. This has been a much better week for Luke and I and he has been trying really hard. I am proud of him. I am hoping that he can earn several stickers this Sunday by behaving in nursery. Can he do it? Will he be the nice kid and not the bully? I will let you know in a couple of days.

6 comments:

It's Been a Day! said...

That's a great idea. Tyson is also the biggest one in nursery and we had the primary police come and talk to us about Tyson's behavior in nursery. Makes you feel like the worst parent ever! You will have to let me know if the chart works because maybe I can start that with Ty. Luke sure is a cute kid though!!

Heather said...

What a cutie!!! He is such a doll, I find it very hard to believe that can be bully.

My oldest was the same way, but he was the smallest, I guess he felt he had something to prove. :) Luckily he grew out of it. Your little guy probably will too. Good Luck, the chart sounds like a great idea.

Wendy said...

So... how was church today?

P.S. I can't believe he's a bully! He's always so passive at family gatherings.

Jamie said...

He is seriously the CUTEST little man in the world! Oh my gosh! And I'm sure it's just a phase with him, you are way too sweet to have a kid that ends up a bully! I'm sure he'll get over it!

Me said...

Oh, just let him rough up some of those little punks. What harm is there in it?

TheOneTrueSue said...

I feel your pain, Jess. Jake is very sweet to babies and children who are younger than him, but bigger kids? He goes straight for the tackle. He's learned this from the neighbor boys - he thinks it's how you play with big kids. The five year old down the street is afraid of him I think. Sigh. The chart is a great idea.